Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Putting it all together

I love Wednesdays!  On Wednesdays, the focus is on leadership.  Last week it was the most difficult day and I went through a huge learning curve, but this week I was so excited to explore it more.  Focus and leadership are entwined.  The handing over of 51% of the leadership to your horse, needs to be a decision, and a decision to take it back when your horse needs a leader.  Your focus keeps you in the moment with your horse, so you can feel when they need this exchange, and when they're ready for their responsibilities.  I have been playing with finesse this week, but recognizing when Tequila needs a freestyle break, or a focus me RB break, and then be able to return to finesse.  I had a session today, that had good parts, and not so good parts, but it was so focused, and I could actually figure out what to play with when things weren't jiving.  COOL! 
OOH!  I am building some awareness of my own fluidity, and how to stay out of Tequila's way.  I had the lightest haunches in and shoulders in that we've ever had today.  Half-passes are working, but much easier to the left than to the right.  Lift that hip girl!  
Today was monumental because I actually removed a shim from my Theraflex pad.  Tequila has come up so much in his front end, that I was too high in the front of my saddle.  He is uphill!  I was watching him trot out today on the 45 ft, and he is just floating, powering from behind, elevated in the front, barefoot and in tune with his body.  He is using his body better than he ever did with all the equipment, gadgets, bits, weighted shoes and pads, and  other s*** I tortured him with.  Even as I learn more about his emotional needs, I know he couldn't be changing physically if he wasn't becoming calmer, smarter, and braver.  I am so thankful for my horse's forgiveness, which he gives me every day.  I promise you that not a day goes by that he doesn't fill in for me.  I think that goes for any true partnership, even between humans.  I know Aaron fills in for me all the time.  He's a great husband and I am lucky to have him.  

3 comments:

  1. What a great, inspirational day! It is amazing to hear about the incredible growth that you and Tequila are experiencing. I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I so this for a living it is living this path of being that can be so amazing. Sharing your learnings is so powerful a part of my journey! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you! Your excitement is contagious. Tequila is lucky to have you, despite the "gadgets" you used in the past. Jazz is waiting for me to gain the same knowledge and skill. I'm really enjoying the blog. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete